简介...
https://xiaoyuzhoufm.com

大家好,这是分段音频的合订纯享版本,欢迎愿意支持本专辑的朋友进行购买。不想购买的朋友,听对应的分段音频和专题听单可以收听到一样的内容。感谢大家的支持!


购买了本单集的朋友,可以到公众号“高效英语磨耳”私信我获取和音频配套的文稿及翻译。


马克·吐温《百万英镑》


0:05 Chapter One: From San Francisco to London


3:00 Chapter Two: An Unusual Bet


7:20 Chapter Three: The Letter


10:40 Chapter Four: At the Tailor's


14:09 Chapter Five: The Poor Millionaire


17:01 Chapter Six: The Dinner Party


21:52 Chapter Seven: A Million-Dollar Idea


25:38 Chapter Eight: Back to Portland Place



Chapter One: From San Francisco to London


When I was 27 years old, I worked in an office in San Francisco.


27岁时,我在旧金山的一间办公室工作。


I did my job well and my future was promising.


我做得很好,我的未来充满希望。


I was alone in the world and I was happy.


我独自一人在这个世界上,我很快乐。


On Saturday afternoons I didn't work.


星期六下午我不工作。


I sailed my little sail boat on San Francisco Bay.


我在旧金山湾驾驶我的小帆船。


One Saturday afternoon, I sailed out too far.


一个星期六的下午,我出航太远了。


The strong afternoon wind pushed my sail boat out of the bay, into the Pacific Ocean.


下午的强风把我的帆船推出了海湾,驶入了太平洋。


That night, when I had lost all hope, a small British brig saw me and took me on board.


那天晚上,当我失去所有希望时,一艘英国小双桅帆船看见了我,把我带上船。


The brig was sailing to London. The voyage was long and stormy.


双桅帆船正驶向伦敦。航程漫长,风雨交加。


I worked as a sailor to pay for my trip.


我当水手是为了支付我的旅行费用。


When I arrived in London, my clothes were old and dirty.


当我到达伦敦时,我的衣服又旧又脏。


I had only one dollar in my pocket.


我口袋里只有一美元。


With this dollar, I ate and slept for the first twenty-four hours.


有了这一美元,我在头24小时里吃了睡了。


During the next twenty-four hours, I didn't eat and didn't sleep.


在接下来的24小时里,我没有吃饭,也没有睡觉。


At about ten o'clock the following morning, I went to Portland Place.


第二天早上十点左右,我去了波特兰广场。


I saw a child walking past, holding a big pear.


我看见一个孩子拿着一个大梨走过。


The child ate one small piece and then threw the pear onto the street.


孩子吃了一小块,然后把梨扔到街上。


I stopped and looked at it.


我停下来看着它。


I was very hungry and I really wanted that pear.


我非常饿,我真的很想吃那个梨。


But every time I tried to get it, someone passed by and looked at me.


但每次我试图得到它,都有人走过来看着我。


I quickly turned in the other direction and waited for the person to pass by.


我迅速转向另一个方向,等待那个人经过。


I tried again and again to get that pear, but the same thing happened. I was desperate.


我一次又一次地试图得到那个梨,但同样的事情发生了。我绝望了。


I decided to get the pear and not to worry about the people who saw me.


我决定去拿到梨,不用担心看到我的人。


At that moment, a gentleman opened a window behind me and said, "Come in here, please."


这时,一位先生打开我身后的窗户说:“请进来。”


A well-dressed servant opened the door.


一个穿着考究的仆人打开了门。


He took me to a beautiful room.


他带我去了一个漂亮的房间。


Here, two old gentlemen were sitting and discussing something important.


在这里,两位老先生坐着讨论着一件重要的事情。


Their breakfast was still on the table.


他们的早餐还在桌子上。


I was very hungry and I stared at their breakfast.


我饿极了,盯着他们的早餐。


I want to tell the reader that the two gentlemen had made a bet several days before.


我想告诉读者,这两位先生几天前打赌过。


I knew nothing about the bet until later.


后来我才知道这个赌注。


Let me tell you what happened.


让我告诉你发生了什么事。



评价...

空空如也

小宇宙热门评论...
诗安然
10个月前 山东
0
买过了,但为啥不给我发原文
EarsOnMe

加入我们的 Discord

与播客爱好者一起交流

立即加入

扫描微信二维码

添加微信好友,获取更多播客资讯

微信二维码

播放列表

自动播放下一个

播放列表还是空的

去找些喜欢的节目添加进来吧